The basic rules of using kanban are the same whether you are running a car factory or a jewelry studio. These rules were developed at Toyota but can be applied at your studio.
1. Customer (downstream) processes withdraw items in the precise amounts specified by the Kanban.
2. Supplier (upstream) produces items in the precise amounts and sequences specified by the Kanban.
3. No items are made or moved without a Kanban.
4. A Kanban should accompany each item, every time.
5. Defects and incorrect amounts are never sent to the next downstream process.
6. The number of Kanbans is reduced carefully to lower inventories and to reveal problems.